Since it’s Valentine’s day, I felt inclined to do a post about love. But if you despise the holiday for its superficiality or because you don’t have a guy or gal, don’t stop reading now because I’m talking about a love that goes much deeper than any kind of earthly love. Obviously, I’m not an expert on love considering I have only been around for 17 years and don’t have a boyfriend or husband, but I do have my God, whose love goes so much deeper.
1. AGAPE LOVE IS LOVE IN ITS MOST BEAUTIFUL AND INTIMATE FORM. THAT’S THE KIND OF LOVE GOD HAS FOR US. Agape is the Greek word for love at its ultimate. Agape love is not like a brotherly love or a love between a husband and a wife. It is the most self-sacrificing love that there is. This type of love is the love that God has for His own children. This type of love is what was displayed on the cross by Jesus Christ. In John 3:16 it is written that “God so loved (agapao) the world that He gave His only begotten Son that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have everlasting life.” Jesus died for us while we were still His enemies and while we were sinners. He loved us first. He took the initiative. We didn’t. Agape love is the kind of love that God had for us, while we were still dead in our sins. Agape love is a God love.
2. DON’T SETTLE FOR SOMEONE WHO WON’T LOVE YOU WITH THIS TYPE OF LOVE. Although it will never be as deep as the love God has for us, our significant other should hold deep, self-sacrificial agape love in his or her heart for both us and God. I’ve seen some married couples and a whole bunch of high-school-aged couples that I can tell do not hold this deep love for each other. They disrespect each other and their love is only surface level. They fell into infatuation and it never turned into anything deeper. And most of the time, it won’t, unless they have a huge heart change. Fall in love with someone who is willing to sacrifice and love you through sickness and pain just like God does.
3. YOU DON’T NEED A BOYFRIEND OR GIRLFRIEND OR HUSBAND OR WIFE TO BE LOVED. I think the older you get and the closer you get to God, the more you understand this fact. I used to think that real love only came from guys. I dreamed about falling in love with a guy who would love me for eternity. Someone who would do anything for me and call me beautiful and choose me even on my darkest days. Even when I get annoying and angry and upset. Someone who loves me even when I feel unlovable. Little did I know, the only person who can truly fit this description is Jesus. I’ve learned that I don’t need a boyfriend to feel loved because I have my heavenly Father constantly pouring out his love in my life. I don’t need a human’s assurance or adoration when I am chosen and adored by the God of the Universe. This is so hard to grasp though, especially in high school, when it’s Valentine’s Day and all your friends have guys to go on dates with and you’re sitting at home with your cats. But the thing is, I’m in a more intimate relationship with my Father than I could EVER be with a guy, and that’s something to cherish.
4. BUT IF YOU FIND A GUY, MAKE SURE IT’S A GODLY MAN, NOT A CHRISTIAN BOY. Okay, I’m speaking from a girl’s perspective on this one, since I can’t really speak for guys. This one’s a biggie for me. There are a lot of so called “Christian guys” out there who are great guys. They go to church, they will spoil you and lavish you with compliments, and they are respectful. However, these are the guys that girls tend to fall in love with fast, and they often unintentionally steal the girl’s attention away from God. They compromise the girl’s standards and are ultimately living for themselves and not for God. But a Godly man… that’s someone who loves Jesus and is actively pursuing a deeper relationship with Him. He’s someone who will respect your boundaries, pray for you, and treasure you. A Godly man will walk beside you in life and worship with you and remind you that God is the only one who can truly satisfy. He will honor you and won’t try to steal what is respectfully God’s. He will strengthen your relationship with God instead of weakening it. He is humble and kind and patient. This kind of guy might seem like a fantasy, but he’s not. He’s a man worth waiting for.
5. LOVE HAS BEEN POURED OUT ON YOU SINCE THE DAY YOU WERE FORMED IN YOUR MOTHER’S WOMB. I think we tend to underestimate God’s love. He has loved us since the minute he created us in our mother’s womb and he will love us for eternity, regardless of whether or not we acknowledge his love. He will weep over us when we turn from him and choose impure sexual desires over an intimate relationship with him. But he will love us still. He will be saddened when we refuse to talk to him and read his word, but he will still pour out his love on us when we come back to him. No matter how far we try to run away, God doesn’t move. His love is steadfast and eternal.
“For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother’s womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well.” – Psalm 139:13-14
I hope y’all have a wonderful Valentine’s Day, no matter who you’re spending it with! Will you pray with me?
Father, help me to see that your love is enough. I don’t need the assurance of anyone else on this earth. You have loved me with an everlasting love and I am more than thankful for that. I love you. In Jesus name, Amen.
Also, you have to listen to this song. It is BEAUTIFUL. Do yourself a favor and hit play. It’s all about God’s love.